iRide.2019.09.27

Classification conundrum

• Earlier in the day, in an otherwise clear blue sky, a line of low cloud developed along the eastward-facing flank of the Pine Valley Mountains about halfway up the slope. I am not going to put myself on the line by attempting a classification. Those feeling emboldened by confidence in their own abilities, warranted or otherwise, to decipher the Wikipedia page on cloud identification are welcome to leave their call in the comments. I am going to leave it at "a line of low cloud".

By noon those clouds had risen in altitude to cap the crest of the mountain range. Cue Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes"…lift us up where we belong / Where the eagles cry / On a mountain high" ('Up Where We Belong', the #1 hit song from the movie soundtrack of 'An Officer and a Gentleman', 1982). I was reliably informed by a loved one on my cellphone messaging app that it was raining in Southern California. I thought it never rained in Southern California. Cue Albert Hammond with the #2 eponymous hit from his 1972 album.

My own recent performance successes did not embolden me sufficiently that I was going to let them go to my knees. I rode steadily, content to do whatever distance at whatever pace was comfortable. This was my sixth consecutive-riding day, so I decided against a second ascent up to Sand Hollow Top to leave something for the weekend, sir. I have a couple of enforced rest days next Monday and Tuesday, so that will be a suitable break in the proceedings.

Around the town the folk are starting to limber up for Hallowe'en. Around here they take holidays seriously, even the profane ones. I was interested to see the jack-o'-lanterns and other symbols associated with non-Abrahamic celebrations juxtaposed with a cherub. In the developed world people blend diverse traditions without feeling conflicted in any way and yet find it remarkable when that happens in other cultures.


WEATHER report:
*START* 09:05, Clear, 63°F, Feels like 63°F, Cloud: 0%, Humidity 60%, Dewpoint 49°F, Wind 1mph from ← (1mph gusts), UV index 1.
*END* 12:15, Clear, 77°F, Feels like 77°F, Cloud: 0%, Humidity 41%, Dewpoint 52°F, Wind 5mph from → (8mph gusts), UV index 7.
*RIDE* feel 70°F, avg. temp. 70°F, avg. feel temp. 70°F.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WRJAWTA: Which Robert Johnson Are We Talking About?

FATB There is no rubber stamp for authenticity

iRide.2019.10.07