iRide Sun. 08 Sept. 2019

On advisement

• A fellow bicyclist cautioned me to take it easy after I was unwell recently. I took the warning on advisement and after an overnight deliberation I decided to ride gently and limit my mileage today. A different advisor—one of the 'no pain, no gain' school—suggested an alternative strategy of trying to ride harder and increase my mileage. When half your advisors suggest you are a Cavalier hellbent on self-destruction and the other half suggest you are a Roundhead who needs to live larger then you are probably striking a good balance.

After my ride today I felt much better than I felt after my ride yesterday. I am not reading too much either way into that bald statement, which is too narrow and shallow to be useful as a training guide. I also drank a bottle of beer last night. Either of these determinants may be sufficient encouragement for me to be more Cavalier or more Roundhead on my next ride.

The Cavalier/Roundhead comparison (Puritans/Southerners in the American Civil War or, as Ralph Waldo Emerson characterized a similar pair of stereotypes in his essay 'English Traits', Normans/Saxons) is explored in an Intelligence Squared video discussion entitled 'I'd rather be a Roundhead than a Cavalier', which is available on YouTube as a recording made at the Royal Institution of Great Britain on 17 Nov. 2014 chaired by Jonathan Freedland with Charles Spencer and Anna Whitelock debating on either side.


WEATHER report:
• START: 07:05, Clear, 76°F, Feels like 76°F, Cloud: 0%, Humidity 30%, Dewpoint 42°F, Wind 5mph from ↖, 6mph, UV index 0 • END: 09:22, Clear, 79°F, Feels like 79°F, Cloud: 0%, Humidity 27%, Dewpoint 42°F, Wind 6mph from ↑, 8mph, UV index 2 • ACTIVITY feel 77°F, avg. temp. 77°F, avg. feel temp. 77°F


The stats for this ride are available on the Strava website (login required).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WRJAWTA: Which Robert Johnson Are We Talking About?

FATB There is no rubber stamp for authenticity

iRide.2019.10.07