Ali's Organics

A super-abundance of produce

• I went to Ali's Organics to collect the produce shares for this week and I was amazed by the pumpkin display. Some of them are destined to be jack-o'-lanterns—although they are edible, as Ali told me, "You wouldn't want to!" I am a turnip-lantern man and the removed flesh of those are edible. I am not a big fan of pumpkin pie and I wonder why this vegetable (it's a cultivar of the squash plant) is so strongly associated with the baked goods department.

Check out the last link: hidden among all the sugary comestibles there are curry and chili recipes and even one for lasagna! Both pumpkin leaf  kimchi and pumpkin spice kimchi from Korean cuisine both seem like more interesting alternatives to dumping shovelfuls of refined sugar onto the mashed flesh and baking the resulting mucilage into a pastry flan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WRJAWTA: Which Robert Johnson Are We Talking About?

FATB There is no rubber stamp for authenticity

iRide.2019.10.07