iRide.2019.10.08


RECREATION WITH AN AHHH!

• I was undecided what sort of a ride I wanted on this day. Gloriously warm sunshine with a cooling breeze combined with seventh successive-day knee stiffness determined that it was to be a [R]ecreation ride with an ahhh! I rode gently and enjoyed the weather and the countryside. Not every ride has to be fitness training and there are more ways to get high than from endorphins.

[R] is the first ride designation on a personal classification system I am developing. It means riding purely for the purpose of enjoyment, which can include riding styles from easy to hard, and slow to fast, or anything in between. Any other activity is permissible; today I went for a walk. Sadly, I came across a dismembered deer, which I have reported to the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources with photos and a location map. I will spare you the gruesome sight of the cadaver.



For the first time this year I noticed touches of autumn color in the leaves on some trees. The Americans say 'fall' for this season, which it seems to me confuses an event (the falling leaves, or possibly the original sin with the apple) with a season (whose progress hereabouts can be eight weeks spread over the three months of Oct-Dec). The juxtaposition of 'fall' with 'spring' does not resonate with me. In another linguistic twist, I would say Hurricane Crags, but their American name is Hurricane Cliffs, which sounds odd to my English island-race ear because I usually reserve 'cliff' for a coastal declivity of exposed rock. The coast is hundreds of miles from this place.Whatever word is used, they looked lovely in the late afternoon light.



STATS on the Strava website (login required) at the link:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2773974348

WEATHER report:
*START* 14:37, Clear, 83°F, Feels like 83°F, Cloud: 0%, Humidity 7%, Dewpoint 13°F, Wind 5mph from ↗ (11mph gusts), UV index 5.
*END* 17:34, Clear, 84°F, Feels like 84°F, Cloud: 0%, Humidity 7%, Dewpoint 13°F, Wind 8mph from ↗ (15mph gusts), UV index 1.
*RIDE* feel 84°F, avg. temp. 84°F, avg. feel temp. 84°F.

Comments

Paul Brecken said…
Great write up and some beautiful photos. You live in a very picturesque area.. Glad to hear your having some great times and keeping well.

Popular posts from this blog

FATB There is no rubber stamp for authenticity

WRJAWTA: Which Robert Johnson Are We Talking About?

Day out at the Because Animals Matter 'Dog Day Spectacular' event