iRide.2019.09.30


BACKEND AFTERNOON

• I was not expecting to be able to ride today. I jumped at the chance of my first afternoon ride of what they call 'the backend' in my homeland. You may well smirk, but it is a much less forbidding term for Autumn than 'The Fall', which always sounds to my ear as though people are talking about original sin. My bicycle riding is a guilt-free pleasure.

I had almost forgotten how pleasant afternoon riding can be, especially when I saw the Fault illuminated by the sunlight rather than against the sunlight. The blog template has some quirky ideas about how to display the first image in a post, so I used a cropped version above and the full panorama appears below. It makes a refreshing change from interminable photos looking west to the Pine Valley Mountains! It's too bad that the Canon A10 camera does such poor color rendition.



Following on from two days of wind there was a cool breeze. It was enough enough to warrant a light pullover, which I removed at my second turnaround to enjoy the warmth of the late afternoon sunshne. I rode in lower gears, trying to spin as an encouragement for souplesse to return to my legs after the extended ride of the day before. I was surprised when I saw that I had done twenty miles because it felt like fifteen.

The UPS driver hailed me by calling out, "Have you started riding again?" I explained to her that she has not seen me all summer because I have been riding in the mornings to avoid the excessive heat later in the day. She drove off having completed her delivery and I ventured deeper into the subdivisions looking for a recumbent bicycle I had seen heading that way. I was out of luck, but I hope to meet up with the rider someday for a chat.

I was an enjoyable change of schedule. For a few weeks I will be able to choose between morning or afternoon rides with comfortable temperatures for either time.



WEATHER report:
*START* 14:11, Clear, 72°F, Feels like 72°F, Cloud: 0%, Humidity 13%, Dewpoint 18°F, Wind 5mph from → (12mph gusts), UV index 7.
*END* 16:48, Clear, 74°F, Feels like 74°F, Cloud: 0%, Humidity 9%, Dewpoint 13°F, Wind 5mph from → (12mph gusts), UV index 2.
*RIDE* feel 73°F, avg. temp. 73°F, avg. feel temp. 73°F.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FATB There is no rubber stamp for authenticity

WRJAWTA: Which Robert Johnson Are We Talking About?

Day out at the Because Animals Matter 'Dog Day Spectacular' event