iRide.2019.09.25

High, wide, blue & white (oh, purple & yellow, too!)

• It took me all morning to do what I used to do all morning. Like the gruff old Scottish Highlander who took a young bride, "It's work I dinnae grudge!" I have eschewed carrying a camera in recent days, but the big skies today were suitable for the wide-eyed and legless focal length of the iPhone lens. The Canon G3 took one last photo of a sunset a few nights past and then died. Farewell, my faithful servant during 17,869 exposures.

My legs were in better shape than the Strava stats indicate. I went slowly, but did my full route that does not include venturing down the hill known as Mercy. What goes down has to come back up. I'm not ready for that just yet. I walked a couple of sections just to stretch out my back and feet. Overall output was modest, but a respectable distance for endurance.

Not for the first time a camera almost had me involved in fisticuffs. The driver of a Kenworth rig (who looked as through he had been sent by central casting in his straw cowboy hat and dark glasses) was delivering a piece of construction machinery to the new site at Amen Corner. He saw me taking a photo of his truck and ran across the field and jumped over the fence. I was riding off as he yelled, "Why are you taking photos of my truck?" I circled back around, gave him my most disarming smile, and said, "Because it's beautiful! I'm just an old bloke on a bicycle, not the secret police."

Having established the facts of the matter, including the driver remembering giving me a wide berth earlier and thinking I was not cognizant of that courtesy and so was taking Mr Angry photos prior to complaining, we chatted amiably. He told me that the new building was a shed, but that the person monitoring progress was driving a vehicle with New York license plates. This was all starting to feel like a scene from 'Chinatown’, so I bade the driver a cheery farewell and pedaled off before someone slit my nostrils for being excessively inquisitive.



WEATHER report:
*START* 09:03, Clear, 64°F, Feels like 64°F, Cloud: 0%, Humidity 32%, Dewpoint 34°F, Wind 4mph from ↖, 6mph, UV index 1.
*END* 12:32, Partly Cloudy, 83°F, Feels like 83°F, Cloud: 14%, Humidity 15%, Dewpoint 31°F, Wind 3mph from ↗, 7mph, UV index 7. 
*RIDE* feel 74°F, avg. temp. 74°F, avg. feel temp. 74°F.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WRJAWTA: Which Robert Johnson Are We Talking About?

FATB There is no rubber stamp for authenticity

iRide.2019.10.07