iRide Thu. 12 Sep. 2019

No turning back

• Folklorists use the ATU Index (Aarne–Thompson–Uther Index) to categorize folk tales. The Dick Whittington and His Cat folk tale is a type 1651 ('Whittington's Cat'). Lacking the necessary accoutrements (a cat and a peal of bells: we have many feral and domestic cats hereabouts, but I do not recollect ever hearing any campanology) to play out my own tale in that way today, I had to settle for not turning back.

I felt cold when I started, although in my homeland 60°F (15.6°C) at sunup would qualify as the intense heat of high summer. It was the day after my rest day. At this point Paul Sherwen would always say to his fellow commentator Phil Liggett something like: 'The body can react in strange ways after a rest day, Phil.' I was feeling like a stranger to myself. I had expected to be energized following my R&R day, but I found that I was dragging my heels.

I decided to go to the next 'exit point' (all well-planned routes incorporate them) and assess my progress. I reached the first point and felt better, so I continued. I was now in sunshine and rising temperatures, which helped. The process of arrival at an exit point, assessment, and continuing on was repeated five times! On the last occasion I threw caution to the wind and went back up to Sand Hollow Top for a second time. This transpired to be the longest ride I have done for several weeks. I felt much better at the end of it, which made me glad I had not abandoned the ride at any of the wimping stations.

I often see the big brown dog on my outings. His human uses a motorcycle to take him for a run. The dog gallops along joyously barking, but today he was territorial with me when I stopped to take his photo. He growled at me, not in a threatening way, but as a warning not to encroach on his patch. That is just as it should be and I showed him the appropriate respect.

The two pairs of photos—the plane and the hawk on the wooden spar—are just one plane and one hawk. The difference is in the lighting, as Gloria Leonard might say. This may interest students of outdoor photography and indoor cinematography while disinterested parties will shrug a 'So what?' The hawk on the metal irrigation gantry may or may not be a different hawk: there were three of them sitting on the lookout for prey as the apparatus made its gigantic circular journey around the field.


WEATHER report:
*START* 07:41, Clear, 59°F, Feels like 59°F, Cloud: 0%, Humidity 38%, Dewpoint 33°F, Wind 7mph from ↙, 11mph, UV index 0.
*END* 11:09, Clear, 75°F, Feels like 75°F, Cloud: 0%, Humidity 18%, Dewpoint 30°F, Wind 6mph from ←, 9mph, UV index 6.
*RIDE* feel 67°F, avg. temp. 67°F, avg. feel temp. 67°F.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WRJAWTA: Which Robert Johnson Are We Talking About?

FATB There is no rubber stamp for authenticity

iRide.2019.10.07