iRide.2019.10.03


ABOVE AND BELOW

• I have tried umpteen times to take a photo of a plane approaching the Gen. Dick Stout Field strip with Signal Peak and the Pine Valley Mountains in the background. It seems like a straightforward task, but my position is always wrong relative to the height and path of the planes. There is no way to predict what is going to work, so it's pure happenstance for what is possible. Today, the yellow plane, which I don't see very often, obliged with a low, slow approach. I was able to take three images in succession as it drifted down onto the runway

My luck held down below, too. A hawk flew away from me, also going low and slow, so that I was able to see how beautiful it was in flight. A new batch of cattle arrived into one of the recently mown fields. They are still somewhat on edge and keep bunched together, moving off nervously as I approach. Two young girls on horses were driving the herd around the field the day yesterday when they arrived. I was unable to make a photo of that activity and also unable to understand why it was taking place. Perhaps it was just cowgirl practice.

The sorghum is growing rapidly. I remember the harvest from last year and wondered how many annual crops can be sustained on the same field. Perhaps crop rotations and fallow years are things that are neither practiced nor necessary, either because of the climate, the crop, or modern methods. My knowledge of farming is embarrassingly scant. My father in law, who died earlier in the year, used to take visitors on a tour of the countryside to assess the potential harvest. Guided tours of the fields could become a popular tourist attraction. You heard it here first.



WEATHER report:
*START* 14:04, Clear, 79°F, Feels like 79°F, Cloud: 0%, Humidity 12%, Dewpoint 22°F, Wind 3mph from ↗ (11mph gusts), UV index 7.
*END* 17:09, Clear, 84°F, Feels like 84°F, Cloud: 0%, Humidity 9%, Dewpoint 18°F, Wind 5mph from ↗ (13mph gusts), UV index 2.
*RIDE* feel 81°F, avg. temp. 81°F, avg. feel temp. 81°F.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FATB There is no rubber stamp for authenticity

WRJAWTA: Which Robert Johnson Are We Talking About?

Day out at the Because Animals Matter 'Dog Day Spectacular' event